Halloween Dress-Up Guidelines – Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 – Mar Vista Academy
All costumes must be school appropriate. If you or your parents think it’s inappropriate for school, it probably is. Use good judgment. Make sure that you can participate in your classes with the costume on. Education is our first priority-we want students to enjoy the day and stay focused on learning.
- Please reference pages 18-19 in the student handbook
- Costumes which offend others due to their race, gender, social content, or in any other way are not allowed
- No toy weapons or objects displaying violence
- No masks
- *No clown costumes
Articles of clothing advertising or advocating gangs, sex or vandalism, spray paint, graffiti, alcoholic beverages, violence, drugs or tobacco or using obscene, vulgar, suggestive language or any items that are generally considered in bad taste are not permitted.
If ANY outfit/costume is seen as inappropriate by the administration, student will be asked to change.
*No clown costumes allowed due to safety issues and anxiety concerns.
RED RIBBON WEEK 2018
October 29-November 2
- Monday Oct 29 – “RED”-Y TO BE DRUG FREE
- Wear RED–red shirts, red pants, red shoes, red socks, red hats, red scarves, red gloves, etc. Come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must be wearing red).
- Tuesday Oct 30 – BAND AGAINST DRUGS
- Wear your favorite band or music group’s t-shirt. Come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must be wearing a band/music group t-shirt).
- Wednesday Oct 31- SAY “BOO” TO DRUGS
- Wear your (school-appropriate) Halloween costume. See the Costume Guidelines flyer. Enjoy the Club Food Fair at lunch at the Viking Stage area.
- Thursday Nov 1- “HAIRS” TO NO DRUGS
- Crazy hair day! Come to school with crazy hair and come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must have a crazy hairstyle).
- Friday Nov 2- BE A DRUG-FREE SUPERHERO
- Wear your super-hero clothes/accessories (no costumes) to school, and “Give Hugs, Not Drugs” to your friends at lunch. See you the Halloween Boo-Ball after school!
Save the date! Noche de Cuentos takes place on November 1st at 5:45- 7:30 in the library.
- Noche de Cuentos is a family event where everyone is invited to have fun and enjoy great stories!
- We will have Marilyn McPhie from Story Tellers of San Diego entertain us with great scary and not so scary stories.
- We will also have Ms. Rosalinda Garcia Lic. en Teatro de la UABC, Tijuana
Making Parenting a Pleasure/Haga de la Paternidad un Placer
- Date: Each Friday from October 12- December 21/ 12 de octubre al 21 de diciembre
- Time: 8:30 to 10:30am in the MVA library/ de la manana en la biblioteca de Mar Vista Academy
- Classes designed to help parents understand the developmental stages of the children. Parents will learn practical parenting techniques to improve family communication and develop a stronger emotional connection with their children. This class will be offered in Spanish only. Clase diseñada para ayudar a los padres a entender las diferentes etapas del desarrollo de sus hijos. Aprender técnicas para mejorar la comunicación en familia y desarrollar un lazo emocional fuerte con sus hijos. CLASE EN ESPAÑOL
Free Food for Families/Comida Para Familias Gratis
How to qualify/Como calificar:
- Must be at least 16 years old/Deber tener minimo 16 anos de edad
- Must be in need of food (no proof required)/ Debe necesitar comida (No se quiere comprobante)
- Must be present during distribution/ Debe estar presente durante la distribucion
- First come, first served/ Se distribuira basado a como vayan llegando
- Mar Vista Academy – 1267 Thermal Avenue, San Diego, CA 92054
- 3:30pm-5:30pm (Food will start to be distributed at 4pm/La comida se distribuira a las 4pm)
When/Fechas de distribucion de alimentos:
- Sept. 18, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- December 18, 2018
- February 19, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- May 21, 2019
Program sponsored by Mudd Foundation and Smart Food Foundation/
Programa patrocinado por Mudd Foundation y Smart Food Foundation
https://SouthBayCommunityServices.org Phone/Telefono: 619 420 3620
For more information/Para mas informacion por favor llame SBCS Especialista:
Aida Aleman, Intake Specialist – MVA Community Resource Center/MVA Centro de Recursos para la Comunidad.
Office/oficina: 619 628 5990
Cell/movil: 619 710 9701
Show your Viking Spirit each week:
Tuesdays wear college gear!
Thursdays wear your AVID gear!
Friday wear your Viking gear!
Event: AVID Parent Night
Date: Thursday, August 30, 2018
Time: 5:30pm- 6-:30 pm
Please join us as we share our goals and plans to have a productive year in AVID. Our presentation will include general information about our AVID program. You will hear about our plans for field trips, the habits and skills that students will work on in AVID, and how you can support the AVID program to ensure your child has a successful school year. Throughout the presentation you will be interacting with your child, for this reason it is important that he/she comes with you to this meeting.
Please join us in the library on August 17th at 8:30am for a Parent Workshop titled ‘Adolescence’.