All Mar Vista Academy 8th grade students will be visiting Mar Vista High School on Thursday, January 31st from 9:15 to 12:30.
Attention Viking families,
Final Semester 1 Report Cards will be mailed home on Friday December 21st, 2018.
Holiday Spirit Week
- Monday December 17th – Winter Holiday Colors – Wear a combo of red, green or blue to celebrate the winter holidays of Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa!
- Tuesday December 18th – Holiday Hats – Wear a winter holiday hate to show your holiday spirit!
- Wednesday December 19th – Holiday Socks – Wear fun winter holiday socks and get into the holiday spirit!
- Thursday December 20th – Holiday Sweaters – Stay warm and wear your favorite winter holiday sweater!
- Friday December 21st – Holiday Hodge Podge – Wear everything and anything holiday-related: hats, socks, sweaters, jackets gloves, scarves….let’s show our Viking Holiday Spirit!
MVA Halloween Dance!
- Friday, Nov. 2 from 2-4pm in Cafeteria
- Students can wear school-appropriate costumes (see Costume Guidelines)
- Dance starts at 2pm so students can go home and change and come back.
- Back cafeteria doors will open for admission. Students can also stay on campus to change if needed.
- Tickets on sale at ASB for $5 (includes admission, slice of pizza and drink)
- Tickets on sale until next Tuesday, 10/30
Halloween Dress-Up Guidelines – Wednesday, October 31st, 2018 – Mar Vista Academy
All costumes must be school appropriate. If you or your parents think it’s inappropriate for school, it probably is. Use good judgment. Make sure that you can participate in your classes with the costume on. Education is our first priority-we want students to enjoy the day and stay focused on learning.
- Please reference pages 18-19 in the student handbook
- Costumes which offend others due to their race, gender, social content, or in any other way are not allowed
- No toy weapons or objects displaying violence
- No masks
- *No clown costumes
Articles of clothing advertising or advocating gangs, sex or vandalism, spray paint, graffiti, alcoholic beverages, violence, drugs or tobacco or using obscene, vulgar, suggestive language or any items that are generally considered in bad taste are not permitted.
If ANY outfit/costume is seen as inappropriate by the administration, student will be asked to change.
*No clown costumes allowed due to safety issues and anxiety concerns.
RED RIBBON WEEK 2018
October 29-November 2
- Monday Oct 29 – “RED”-Y TO BE DRUG FREE
- Wear RED–red shirts, red pants, red shoes, red socks, red hats, red scarves, red gloves, etc. Come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must be wearing red).
- Tuesday Oct 30 – BAND AGAINST DRUGS
- Wear your favorite band or music group’s t-shirt. Come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must be wearing a band/music group t-shirt).
- Wednesday Oct 31- SAY “BOO” TO DRUGS
- Wear your (school-appropriate) Halloween costume. See the Costume Guidelines flyer. Enjoy the Club Food Fair at lunch at the Viking Stage area.
- Thursday Nov 1- “HAIRS” TO NO DRUGS
- Crazy hair day! Come to school with crazy hair and come by the Viking Stage at lunch to spin the Prize Wheel (must have a crazy hairstyle).
- Friday Nov 2- BE A DRUG-FREE SUPERHERO
- Wear your super-hero clothes/accessories (no costumes) to school, and “Give Hugs, Not Drugs” to your friends at lunch. See you the Halloween Boo-Ball after school!
- Monday – Hats off to No Name Calling – Wear a hat or beanie to school and come by the Viking Stage at lunch to show off you anti-bullying message or art in chalk.
- Tuesday – Team Up Against Bullies – Wear your favorite team gear (jerseys, shirts, hats, etc) and come by the Peace Table at the Viking Stage at lunch to sign your anti-bully pledge.
- Wednesday – Sock it to Bullying – Wear crazy socks and enjoy the Club Food Fair at lunch. Support MVA Clubs at the Viking Stage.
- Thursday – Power in Numbers – Twin Day! Dress the same as your twin or twins and come by the Peace Table at lunch to paint your pinkie blue!
- Friday – Peace Out – Wear your peace symbols, tied-dye shirts, or
rainbow colors. Show your support
for peace by meeting new friends at lunch!
Free Food for Families/Comida Para Familias Gratis
How to qualify/Como calificar:
- Must be at least 16 years old/Deber tener minimo 16 anos de edad
- Must be in need of food (no proof required)/ Debe necesitar comida (No se quiere comprobante)
- Must be present during distribution/ Debe estar presente durante la distribucion
- First come, first served/ Se distribuira basado a como vayan llegando
- Mar Vista Academy – 1267 Thermal Avenue, San Diego, CA 92054
- 3:30pm-5:30pm (Food will start to be distributed at 4pm/La comida se distribuira a las 4pm)
When/Fechas de distribucion de alimentos:
- Sept. 18, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- December 18, 2018
- February 19, 2019
- March 19, 2019
- April 16, 2019
- May 21, 2019
Program sponsored by Mudd Foundation and Smart Food Foundation/
Programa patrocinado por Mudd Foundation y Smart Food Foundation
https://SouthBayCommunityServices.org Phone/Telefono: 619 420 3620
For more information/Para mas informacion por favor llame SBCS Especialista:
Aida Aleman, Intake Specialist – MVA Community Resource Center/MVA Centro de Recursos para la Comunidad.
Office/oficina: 619 628 5990
Cell/movil: 619 710 9701