Mar Vista Academy: an AVID Schoolwide Site of Distinction
Schoolwide Site of Distinction is the highest rating that a school can achieve within the AVID certification continuum. Schoolwide Site of Distinction Schools are schools that are implementing both the AVID Elective and AVID Schoolwide with high levels of fidelity.
AVID 7 – (AVID 7 Syllabus)
AVID 8 – (AVID 8 Syllabus)
What is AVID?
- The mission of AVID is to ensure that students complete a college-prep path and eventually enroll in a four-year university.
- AVID is a year-long elective class that is part of the regular school day.
- AVID is hard work, but it’s also rewarding and fun!
What happens in the AVID class?
- We work on improving our writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization and reading skills (WICOR)
- College students work with AVID students twice a week. These college students lead tutorial groups and provide you with the extra academic support needed for academic success.
- We work on organization, note-taking and study skills. Binder checks are a big part of the class.
- We work on goal-setting so you can be a more efficient student.
- We build teamwork and collaboration through teambuilding activities and group projects.
- Guest speakers come and talk to you about different careers and colleges.
- We go on field trips to colleges/universities. Some of the universities MVA students might visit include; SDSU, UCSD, USD, CSU Fullerton, CSU Long Beach, UC Irvine, UCLA, and USC
- We participate in extracurricular activities and community events.
What are the requirements to be considered for AVID?
- You have at least a 2.0 GPA.
- You have good citizenship grades!
- You have a positive attitude and are willing to help others and work in groups.
- You are motivated!
- You have the desire and determination to do well in school.
- A critical component of the AVID program is the opportunity to participate in tutorial sessions twice a week. Through the TRF process and participation in tutorials students engage in critical thinking, problem solving, public speaking skills, listening skills, and note-taking. During the tutorial sessions students work in small groups with college tutors.
- Throughout the middle school years, MVA AVID students will have the opportunity to visit universities in San Diego and in the Los Angeles area
- The goal is to have MVA AVID students visit 7-8 college campuses by the time they begin high school!
Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, Reading